Thursday, March 18, 2010

Episode 288

Songs To Learn And Sing - Episode 288

Photo: Alex Chilton at Ardent Studios

A few years ago when I set up a Myspace page for the radio show, the first video clip I embedded was The Letter, I love that song. Alex Chilton who died yesterday at the age of 59 was only 16 when he sang: “Gimme a ticket for an aeroplane, Ain't got time to take a fast train.” His gravelly voice was fantastic. Big Star is one of my favourite bands. Four years ago I bought 180g vinyl reissues of #1 Record and Radio City from Spindizzy Records in Dublin. I remember getting home and being all excited about playing the vinyl even though I know these records for years. I pulled out the inner sleeve of #1 Record and knew immediately that I was holding the wrong piece of vinyl. The shop assistant had inserted another customer’s records into my Big Star sleeves. Now while I have to admit that I quite liked the trance 12"s I’d been mistakenly sold, all I could think about was what would the other customer’s reaction be to the opening strains of Chris Bell’s Feel or Chilton’s Balled of El Goodo. I rang the shop to sort out the mistake and was told the other guy was none too pleased. This episode features some of my favourite Alex Chilton songs.  


Shearwater's The Golden Archipelago (Matador Records)

This episode also featured two tracks from the brilliant new album from Shearwater. This is an absolutely gorgeous album which reminds me of of late period Talk Talk and Midnight Choir.

Livin' Love - The Feminine Complex's 1969 album

We finished this episode with three tracks from The Feminine Complex's Livin' Love album. The Nashville all-girl group sole album is a lost 60s masterpiece, a true cult classic. Tennbeat's reissue is full of extras, well worth checking out for fans of skewed 60s pop.  

Episode 288 18/03/10
Playlist
Lawrence Arabia - The Crew of the Commodore
The Loves - Sweet Sister Delia

Alex Chilton Tribute
The Boxtops - The Letter
Big Star - The Ballad of El Goodo
Big Star - Jesus Christ
Big Star - Thirteen
Big Star - Setember Gurls
Alex Chilton - Hey Little Girl
Teenage Fanclub - Free Again (Alex Chilton cover)

"Free again, to do what I wanna do
Free again, to sing my song again
Free again, to air my longing,
To be out on my own again"
RIP Alex Chilton

Scout Nibblett - Cherry Cheek Bomb
Owen Pallett - The Great Elsewhere (playing Whelan's March 19)
Love is All - Give It Back
Caribou - Leave House
Cults - Go Outside
Dum Dum Girls - It Only Takes One Night
Dum Dum Girls - Blank Girl
The Adult Net - Take Me
Taxi Taxi - Standing At Your Back Door
The Unthanks - Lucky Gilchrist (playing Whelan's March 28)
Recoil - Faith Healer
Sone Institute - French Woods
Catriona Irving - Sitting On the Shelf Without Shelly (Plaisir De France remix)
Shearwater - Black Eyes
Shearwater - Meridian
The Besnard Lakes - Chicago Train
Titus Andronicus - A More Perfect Union
The Feminine Complex - Hide and Seek
The Feminine Complex - Are You Lonesome Like Me
The Feminine Complex - I've Been Workin' On You


Shearwater's Hidden Lakes

No comments: