Tuesday, August 17, 2010

From the Archives - Boom Bip Interview

Songs To Learn And Sing - Boom Bip Interview


I chatted to Byran Hollon aka Boom Bip when he played in the Temple Bar Music Centre in Dublin back in April 2005. Blue Eyed in the Red Room was just out and we chatted about the music that Byran was introduced to as a child.

“The music that was in our house was actually a lot of old country music, a lot of Willy Nelson, Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn. My parents were really into old country. I had two older sisters who brought Black Sabbath and Journey and more sort of metal bands as well as Wham and Madonna so there was lot of different stuff in the house. My grandfather had a vinyl collection of all old country, he had original Hank Williams and stuff like that and every Sunday our family all had dinner together and he would put that on while we ate. I heard Jimmy Hendrix’s Axis: Bold as Love when I was 14 and it blew me away.

A friend of mine, his father was an old stoner and he had all the Blue Oyster Cult, The Moody Blues, Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Hendrix and that was the stuff that I really wasn’t introduced to in my house so through his house I got to hear all that old acid rock. I was taking drum lessons from 10 up until 14 and once I started to be introduced to that stuff, I wanted a guitar. I got a guitar and it all just seemed to connect.

3 Feet High and Rising, Paul’s Boutique by Beastie Boys and People’s Instinctive Tavels by A Tribe Called Quest. Those three records were huge for me. I think I was 15, those records were massive. Paul’s Boutique really was a huge one for me.”


Boom Bip - Blue Eyed in the Red Room (Lex Records, 2005)

Blue Eyed in the Red Room features The Matter of Our Discussion a beautiful track featuring Nina Nastasia on vocals, Bryan explained how the collaboration came about: “With Nina, I was a huge fan of her music, what happened was a friend of mine gave me Nina’s first two records, I remember listening to them thinking, ‘Oh my God, this is amazing’. I started talking to Nina, but it seemed a very daunting idea for us to work together because she comes from the folk singer-songwriter perspective and I’m coming from an electronic sort of thing. Kind of polar opposites yet they can work really well together at the same time. It was me just being a fan asking her, ‘can you please do something with me.’”

Boom Bip feat. Nina Nastastia - The Matter of Our Discussion

No comments: