Wednesday, August 11, 2010

From the Archives - Cocorosie Interview

Songs To Learn And Sing - Cocorosie Interview

Bianca and Sierra Casady - Cocorosie

Bianca: “My name is Redbone Slim, the Coco half of Cocorosie.” Sierra: “And I’m Rosie, guess I’m the other half, of the bean, the jelly bean, the Cocorosie jelly bean.”

I chatted to Bianca and Sierra Casady in 2005 before their debut Dublin show. Noah’s Ark, the band’s second album, had just been released and the gig that night was truly memorable for the band’s incredibly original performance. You simply didn’t know what was coming next. Earlier in the day when I asked the sisters to chat about the writers and musicians that had influenced them growing up the duo gave brilliant answers:

Bianca: I watched a lot of Wayne’s World, Wayne’s World 1 and 2, and my sister was really into Gospel Music, Gymnastics and exercise.

Sierra: For me, honestly my main inspiration in my younger life, and where I spent most of my time thinking and feeling out myself as an artist was while I was running. I was like a really hardcore runner. I would run whenever I had the chance and at the weekends I was able to run five hours freely without anyone bothering me. I would run five hours straight along these train tracks that would go up and down the coast of California. Just five hours straight, my mind spinning, spinning, spinning.

No comments: