Tuesday, July 12, 2011

New Order - Clash Magazine

 New Order - Clash Magazine


In the latest edition of Clash magazine Paul Morley interviews the four members of New Order about their latest release, the Joy Division/New order compilation Total. He chats to them about their current activities but the piece is really an opportunity for Bernard, Stephen and Gillian to have a go at Hooky for his recent Unknown Pleasures and Closer tours with The Light.

New Order art director Howard Wakefield was commissioned by Clash to create a cover that celebrated 30 years of New Order. The above graphic is his response. The good people at Creative Review have produced the images below which give us the original 12'' sleeves alongside Wakefield's cover.


Wakefield explains his creative process: “For this month's cover, I was asked to celebrate thirty years of New Order. I have been fortunate enough to design (with Peter Saville) New Order sleeves for twenty of those years and this was a real honour. But one image to illustrate thirty years? When I think about imagery and New Order, I instantly think of all the sleeves; Joy Division and New Order sleeves are often referred to as being iconic designs, but rather than showing a montage of them, which have been much seen, admired and recognised, I wondered how recognisable are they? I was curious to find out, if I reduced them in some way, could the still be recognisable?

I tried blurring and distorting them, but they rapidly became something else. However, by simplifying them to their basic colour elements, they appeared to remain true to their iconic designs. I found I could reduce them a great deal - so far in fact to just nine simple squares."


The New Order edition of Clash Magazine is on sale now.

No comments: