Wednesday, August 10, 2011

eX-Girl - Flyers

 eX-Girl - Flyers

In July 2002 eX-Girl played Ireland for the first time and I was lucky enough to catch their gig at The Lobby Bar in Cork. Now a lot has been written about this infamous little venue, and sadly it shut its doors a number of years ago. I saw some amazing gigs there over the years: Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, The Handsome Family, John Cooper Clarke and Peter Bruntnell. I also saw Cat Power perform probably the worst gig I've ever witnessed. When I think about The Lobby Bar however the one gig which always comes straight to mind is eX-Girl's 2002 performance.

The band played a stormer of a gig that night. It was a balmy summer's evening and The Lobby was absolutley stuffed, the place only held about 110 punters comfortably, and the windows were opened to leave in some air. I can remember looking to my right out the window and spotting a load of people dancing on the traffic island in the middle of Anglesea St. in front of the City Hall looking up at the Lobby and watching eX-Girl on stage in through the open windows. A crazy night. It was also the first time at a gig that I saw a band sell a load of homemade merchandise, people went mad for the tote bags the band had brought from Japan. Below are some flyers from a couple of different eX-Girl shows.    









No comments: